Hotmail rules allow the users of Outlook (the way how Hotmail is called nowadays) to sort out their mail easier and more efficiently.
In particular, the users of Hotmail are able to set up rules, according to which all of the letters they receive will be sorted out in a way that is specified in the rules. There is no need to say that such an approach greatly reduces the time of managing the Hotmail inbox as well as helps to counter spam attacks. Find out how to set up Hotmail rules by sticking to the instructions, published below.
The first step you must make is to enter into your Hotmail account
- Start the process of setting up Hotmail rules by opening your browser and going to the MSN website: http://msn.com/.
- At the top of the MSN website, find a menu of applications. Click on the Outlook.com application.
In order to get signed in to Hotmail, type the password of your account in this field
- On the main page of Hotmail, you should enter your actual Hotmail address. Click on the “Next” button.
- Immediately after it, the system will require you to enter the password. Do it and click on the “Sign in” button.
Find and click the button of options after opening the settings menu
- On the page of your Hotmail inbox, you have to find a button of mail settings, which is located between the notifications and the help button. Click on it and you will notice a pop-up menu being opened. In that menu, click on “Options.”
- Once you have done that action, you will get to see a menu of settings on the left. You need to go to Mail > Automatic processing > Inbox and sweep rules. Do so.
On this page, you can add the Hotmail rules you wish
- On the page of Hotmail rules, you are able to create a new rule and manage the existing ones. In order to create a new Hotmail rule, click on the button in the shape of a plus (have a look at the image).
- Then, you will get to see a window where you can set up a new rule. In the first field, you have to enter the name of the rule. The second field allows you to sort the letters according to specific conditions you have set. In the given field, you need to specify a condition what letters you want to be sorted. For instance, it may look like this: It includes these words > in the subject > box. So, all letters with the word “box” in the subject will be sorted. You can add more conditions by clicking on “Add condition.”
This way looks the window for setting up a Hotmail rule
- In the third field, you have to choose what to do with the letters that have been sorted. For instance, it may be like this: Move, copy, or delete > move the message to folder > the name of the folder. Likewise, you can add more actions for the sorted mail.
- The last field allows you to make exceptions from this rule. For instance, it may look like: It was sent or received > Received from > email@example.com. So, the letter “You have got to open the box” sent from the firstname.lastname@example.org email address will not be sorted. Also, there are can be more exceptions.
- After you have set up a rule, click on “OK.¨